Tuesday 28 October 2008

Saying Goodbye To Taupo

Ok, so I finally left Taupo. It had been 6 weeks and it was now the end for me here. Still I went out with a bang of course. On my last week I thought I would do all the things that I hadn't had a chance to do up until this point and thought that I should before I left.

On the first day of sun - Darren and myself headed out onto the Barbary. Built in 1926, the Barbary is a 15m ocean-going racing yacht. It was once owned by actor Erol Flynn but these days is sailed around Lake Taupo by 'Barbary Bill'!!! It's a two and a half hour trip around the vast lake. Somehow Darren and myself steered the vessel for most of the time (no one else wanted the responsibility) as Bill ran around the ship pulling various pieces of rope which had some affect on the sail above us. We headed over to the Maori carvings. The carvings are on private land but can be reached by boat. They reminded me of the rock carvings I had seen at one of the temples in Angkor (Cambodia) except these were of Maori design and were not ancient in any sense. They were apparently carved about 30 years ago but are still impressive and continue to attract the crowds. On the trip around the lake, you also get great views of the Tongariro National Park and of Mt Tauhara which looms over the town of Taupo. From this distance you can see why the mountain is called 'the pregnant lady' (take a look at the photos) and accompanies a story told in Maori legend.

On my last week, I also made it down to take a ride on the Huka Falls Jet. They have these jet boat rides all over New Zealand, the difference with this one was that I knew someone who worked there. Mike, who also works at Go Global Backpackers (where i'm staying) is training to be a driver at the Huka Falls Jet. So when I went down to see him - he kindly got me a free ride and accompanying photos of my escapade. He wasn't driving of course - I would never get in a boat with him steering even when he's fully trained (you would know what I mean if you knew him) - but I was grateful of the gesture. The ride is about 30 minutes, along the Waikato River. It first takes you down to the Aratiatia Dam and then up to the Huka Falls. Now and again, the driver does a 360 degree turn and you get soaked. They take you pretty close to the falls - further than you could get to them any other way which is pretty cool. The driver constantly rides close to the banks and near trees that pop out of the river (just to scare the kids) before turning at the last minute. The jets are fast and you feel as though the whole thing is floating above the water. It's definately worth a ride - well especially if it's a free ride.

There was also some last nights out on the town, which involved going out with the main Go Global team - who I had got to know over the last month and a half and any random people who wanted to join in. On my last few nights - there were many randoms, much alcohol and some funny and bizarre nights out. I even met my tandem sky-dive master who had jumped out of the plane with me just a few weeks before. By pure coincidence he was also Darren's sky-dive tandem master. He got a lot of drinks that night. There were also goodbye BBQ's, and present swapping. For some strange and unmentionable gifts - I, in return, bought them all a tin of mushy peas. I found them where Darren works. The owners are English and they import all sorts of very British foods. No one had ever tried them before so I thought I'd see what they thought. No one has yet dared to open them. As another kind gesture I have also taught them the ways of speaking North London - those mild subtleties that make it unique. Next time you visit Taupo, don't be surprised if everyone is now saying 'Awight Geezer' and 'Nice One Bruva".

I left Taupo (which has now made it into a list of top 10 places to live in the world by the way) with some fond memories and some good friends (notably - Pete, Mike, Emory, Steve, Karen and Kylie). They are all crazy characters in their own way and some of them have stories that people are not meant to have (especially Emory)!!! I have left Darren there to keep them all amused. I'll miss the Go Global hostel too - it has the most amazing views from the balcony. As well as seeing Lake Taupo, and even Mount Doom from there, you can also see into the bathrooms of the Base Backpackers across the street. The story goes - that when the building was being constructed, the builders put all the tainted windows in the wrong way. So to those in the bathroom - it looks like a mirror but to everyone outside - you can see straight through. There were some very dodgy things seen in those windows- or so i'v heard - i'v never looked myself of course and I would be disgusted with any of you who thought otherwise!!!

I'd like to think I will return to Taupo one day soon, just to see all the guys again but who knows. For me, for now - it was back to the big city, well at least as big as cities get in New Zealand. Due to a call of more work in volcanoes, I was heading back to where I first began in this country...........Auckland!!!

No comments: