Friday 8 May 2009

Visiting Some Old Friends In Queenstown

So I had finished my time in Dunedin. The Samples were ready and the work was complete. I spent my last night in Dunedin getting a bit merry with everyone in my hostel and with Harriet who had popped down for the weekend. The next morning we caught the bus to Queenstown.

Queenstown is one of those places that from the minute you arrive, you take a big deep breath and everything in the world seems right again. It was the same feeling I got when I crossed over the border from Vietnam to Cambodia. I’m sure the place varies from one person to the next, but when you find it – you know you love it straight away. This was my second trip to Queenstown. The first time I travelled here was during my first month in New Zealand, about 8 months ago. Darren and I had stopped through here for a week, blew all our money on snowboarding, drinking and jumping off pretty much all there was to jump off. We always said we would return and live here, but then I got a job extension up in Auckland and instead Darren moved down here with his girlfriend Jaqui. They were the main reason I was back – to see my friends and of course have a bit of fun.

Harriet was with us for about 4 of the 10 days I was in Queenstown. She hadn’t been here since she was a kid so we thought we would take her back to her past and go for a bit of lugeing. You have to go up the Sky Gondola to the top of a big hill which overlooks QT and provides some of the most amazing views in New Zealand. Then you go up higher on a stair lift and make your way back down in a go-kart that has no engine. You race on gravity – round one of two tracks which have jumps, tunnels and sharp turns. When the four of us entered the start line – we all had one thing on our minds - disrupt all your opponents with any means necessary – even if that means getting violent. Watching us ride down must of looked ridiculous as we all tried to grab each other’s steering wheels and veer our competitors off track. I was by far the most pathetic. I would always try and go that step too far, attempting to take the ultimate in short cuts only to find myself stuck on the verge as 10 year old kids flew past me. It was fun nonetheless.

Darren and Jaqui are both fine, they live in a cool little house a few minute’s walk from town with three other couples who all seemed very pleasant although we here some issues arise with certain individuals. They also have a resident cat that continually drinks out of the toilet bowl. He seems to drink more often than most cats and I have put that down to him just showing off in front of guests. Daz and Jaqui very kindly let Harriet and I stay in their place for the duration.

We spent many a night going out for a drink or two and went to one of Darren and Jaqui’s friend’s house parties. The days were sunny and hot and we would chill in the park or walk by the lake or often spend many an hour in the British Sweet Shop (where I’ve just been told Darren now has a part time job) and purchase pretty much one of everything – and often more than one. At night though it was freezing cold, enough to force me into a mad snowboarding trousers purchase. When Harriet left, things didn’t really change. For me this trip to Queenstown was more about spending time with my friends who I hadn’t seen for 3 months. We did have time for one adrenaline fuelled activity though.......

Darren and I have both done 5 Bungy Jumps each. We have both Skydived and done a base-wire jump off Auckland’s Sky Tower. So we wanted to do something a little different. Above the looming Shotover Canyon, the crazy Kiwi’s have created a swing – the Canyon Swing. It’s pretty much like a Bungy Jump. You’re attached to a rope except that this one sits around your stomach. You stand on the end of a platform and then jump. I think the freefall is about 60m but instead of bouncing back up like a normal Bungy you arc out into a huge swing. Eventually it comes to a stop and you hang above the canyon before being winched back up. Darren, Jaqui and I participated. The great thing about the Canyon Swing is there are so many ways you can jump. The first time I leapt off feet first as if you had just stepped of the ledge of a building. You get the exact same adrenaline rush as a Bungy Jump. In fact – it generally doesn’t matter how big the fall is because it’s those first few moments after just jumping that you savour. The higher the fall only translates into the more scared you are of leaping off – as I was on the Nevis. Once you have paid the first time the second jump is ridiculously cheap and so we all decided to go again.

All the jump styles have different names. For my second jump I did the ‘Gimp Boy Goes To Hollywood’ jump. This is how it works. They hook you up with all the ropes. They then winch you out over the canyon and leave you hanging. Now comes a bit of acrobatics. You have to lift your legs up and wrap them around the rope that sits vertically from your harness. Now you’re essentially completely upside-down, your legs are up and your head faces the canyon floor. They then stick a teddy that has been dressed up to look like he very much enjoys a bit of S and M and places it between your bum. They then pull the pin and you drop head first all the way down. Ah, the things we do for fun.

Queenstown was just like I had remembered. I don’t know when or if I’m going to get to New Zealand’s south Island for a while, if at all, so I’m glad I spent a final fling in QT. I caught my flight back to Auckland to start work again.............but you know me – work doesn’t last for long. This time it was just a week.............and then I was off – for a week long holiday out of New Zealand. And before you ask – yes, I did have to time travel to get there.................

No comments: