Thursday 5 April 2012

Back Once More (Ecuador)..........Here We Go Again!!!

Arriving back in Ecuador was a pretty seamless transition. Within a few weeks I was back doing all the usual things that I had been doing before I left. I literally picked up where I left off at work - analysing and calculating different aspects of seismic signals from Tungurahua Volcano which, pretty much the day I got back - started to show signs of activity again. I also had a couple of trips out in the field. Over the space of a month or so I made two trips to the area near the town of Papallacta. On the first occasion I went out to two seismic stations where we were collecting data of local micro-seismicity. The stations were also located very close to the Antisana volcano, so we were getting data on volcanic activity too. Some weeks later we returned and I helped remove (un-install) many of the stations in and around the area. It was only a temporary network and the project time for data collection had come to an end - so we were taking out all the equipment. That time we stayed over-night in the very near and beautiful town of Papallacta, a place famous for it's thermal hot-pools. It was a relatively muddy adventure and a little hard-work, but that is all part of being a volcanologist I guess!!!

There was much going on almost straight away in other aspects of my life too, there usually is with Maisa and her family. Straight away there was another inauguration and party held by Maisa's father - Marcelo. Next to his new petrol station he had opened a shop selling truck parts. As is always the case with these events there is always some religious ceremony first. The priest often comes to the area (in this case the shop) and does a ceremony usually lasting around 30 minutes. At the end he splashes people with holy water. However, and this is the odd part for me, he will then be led around and asked to spray water on other things - cars and buildings etc. The priest was thus asked to head down to the shop warehouse (I know this because I went with) and was asked to spray holy water over nearly all the truck parts. Now, I guess this is to bring luck to the selling of the goods (or something along those lines), but all I was thinking (with my very non-religious views), was that all these truck parts are going to rust if he keeps spraying them with water like that!!! I didn't mention that to anyone though!!! The following party was the usual fun affair - of eating, drinking whiskey and dancing to traditional Latin music from the local area.

A few weeks after we returned from England it was also Maisa's graduation ceremony. She had graduated in Business and Administration and there was a huge event to celebrate it. At her university, in a very large hall, hundreds of people gathered to watch their loved ones collect their certificates. Afterwards there was a party with champagne, food and music. Maisa looked great in her red and black gown complete with hat. She looked like a female version of Harry Potter, as does everyone who wears those gowns. I remember when I did too.......although that was some years ago now. The following week Marcelo put on a big party in their family home to celebrate the event again - that was a more traditional affair but naturally still involved lots of food, drinking and dancing. After that Maisa began working full time - I think that took some getting used to after being a student for the past 4 years!!! I would say that working took me some getting used to after student life, but then many would state (my father mostly) that although I technically do have a job - I tend to behave pretty much exactly how I did when I was a student anyway - so I guess not that much has changed.

We also did a couple of trips down to Latacunga to see some of Maisa's family and where on one occasion I was presented with another meal of Cuy (Guinea Pig), again. I have officially decided that I just don't like it. The taste is okay but my issue is - it is a pointless animal to eat. I can understand eating Chicken, Pigs and Cows - these animals have meat on them. After all the hard work of rearing them, killing them and cooking/preparing them I actually get some food on my plate. With Guinea Pigs, they go through all this trouble for them to then present you with a pile of bones laid out onto your plate. For me - I am an eater who doesn't like to work. If for example you end up burning more calories (through sheer work of obtaining some meat) than you put on from actually consuming what you have scraped off the bones, then there really isn't much point me starting this meal in the first place. Okay, so if it tasted spectacular - like some delicious and magical delicacy - I suppose I would work - but it doesn't even taste that great - well to me anyway. Of course, it's an opinion of which everyone is entitled to - so for all those who really love a good bit of Guinea Pig - fair enough, but it's just not for me!!!

Anyway - with a gallon of holy water, a lot of parties, one very large erupting volcano and a plateful of Guinea Pig, it was official - I was definitely back in Ecuador. Here we go again.........................

No comments: