Sunday 6 May 2012

An Event For Every Occasion

In Ecuador, Valentines Day (El Dia De San Valentines), is quite a big thing. After living in South America for over two years now, it has certainly occurred to me that in Latin culture people seem to be a very emotional, cheesy and romantic bunch. I'm not saying the English aren't romantic or cheesy but certainly not to the same extent. I mean you only have to sit an Englishman in front of a TV and fast forward to the end of the film - Armageddon, to see a Brit cringe with agony. It's romantic and/or cheesy moments like in Armageddon, where the average person from the UK will generally make a face like a dog chewing a caramel toffee and be heard muttering the words - "what utter drivel". On the cheesy/emotional front, compared to us Brits, the Americans take it to the next level and those from Latin America - well they take it three levels up, across an imaginary line and then far off into the distance. So when Valentines Day popped up, I had made a special effort to be as cheesy and romantic as Englishman'ly possible. In the morning (before work), I took the 40 minute journey to personally deliver a big bunch of flowers (and chocolates) to Maisa, who was just waking up in her family home. She was caught a little unaware, as I turned up (as a surprise) at 7am. Later on in the day the two of us went out for a nice meal where I also surprised her with a gold necklace. Maisa gave me some very nice gifts too, including a leather wallet and a cute little cuddly monkey that would have made a normal Englishman pull the dog-caramel toffee face. Luckily, after living here for some time, I am quite desensitised to such forms of lovey-dovey and so really appreciated the form of affection. It was a great night out and the two of us took many cheesy photos to show everyone back home..............sick bags on standby!!!

Just a few weeks after Valentines Day and it was another special occassion to celebrate - Maisa's birthday. She was about to turn 23 and I don't think she was particularly looking forward to it. The thought of getting older (even now at her young age) is not something she lights-up at with joy. Yet I had to remind her that 23 was an amazing age to be and I would love to be on that side (the correct side) of 25 again. I bought her more things that women and especially Maisa love, which included a pair of shoes and a handbag. She was over the moon. We didn't go crazy for her birthday, but we did go out for dinner with her family. We went to a very nice Italian restaurant that Masia and I had been to a few times before. It was very delicious.

Just a few days before Maisa's birthday, I had a special visit from an old friend. The last time I saw my school friend Martin Haggis was during my leaving party at the beginning of February of 2008, four years ago. When I returned from those travels a year and a half later, in August 2009, I didn't see Martin before he himself left for his travels, and as well, three months later, I again headed off once more - this time to Ecuador. After two and a bit years of travel, Martin had finally made his way down to South America and at the beginning of March, made it to Quito. He was only around for a week but it was enough time to catch up, chat about the old days, chat about our travels, our football team (unfortunately), and all this while drinking an absolute ton of beer (which is certainly Martin's speciality)!!! He hadn't changed at all, which seems to be the way with my friends - they are always the same every time I see them, and to be honest that is just the way I want it to stay.

Amongst all these occasions was another event - it should have been a normal affair but as is so often the case in Ecuador there is usually something which I just don't understand. Some relation of Maisa's was having her 15 year birthday party. This is a big deal in Latin culture as a young girl turns into a women at this age. For this, Masia was asked to be godmother of the girl, which I thought nothing of at the time. It was therefore a surprise to me that when we turned up at the event I as well Maisa was treated like some sort of royalty. Because I am dating Maisa, I had somehow become honorary godfather - and I had only met the girl once before. Now I don't think I have any obligations to fill in this role but it was a little odd when 100 people at the party started shouting Viva Los Padrinos or in other words (English words) - cheer for the godparents. After the strangeness had passed, it was actually a nice party, with food, drinks and a lot of dancing.

Over the last few months there had been a lot of occasions to celebrate for, which is good because I like a celebration. One Valentines Day, two birthdays and a reunion had flown past me over the last 8 weeks, however, as I was soon to find out - the celebrations wouldn't end there.........................

No comments: