Friday 20 March 2009

One Year - On The Road

I looked down at the calender on my phone during the return journey from the Bay of Islands - it was February 8th 2009, and it marked my one year anniversary traveling the world. When I started out, I actually had a flight home on this day - a British Airways flight from Buenos Aires (Argentina) to London (England). I lost that flight and a few others when I decided to stay in New Zealand for a year or more.

It's weird thinking I have been away for a year now. Although I have traveled 9 countries, experienced and seen so much, met the most amazing people and basically had the time of my life - I still remember leaving Heathrow Airport and waving away to the family as though it was yesterday.

People always ask when I'm returning home or what my plans are and to be honest I still havn't got the faintest idea - I never did and probably never will. Every plan I make seems to change from day to day and it's seemed to work well for me so far. I'd still like to see South America before I return home as I'd always planned and maybe even fit a few more places along the way. I think a big factor in all these decisions will be if I can continue to get work studying volcanoes or where the next volcanology job may be. For now though I'm having a fantastic time, working in a job I love and traveling the country with friends during my time off. It's ideal really.

The night of February 8th 2009, my beloved Tottenham Hotspur played our bitter rivals Ars*nal in the Premier League. It ended up 0-0 but we definately deserved the win and should of taken the three points. Ha Ha. It doesn't matter how long you've been away some things never change!!!

No comments: