Sunday 20 July 2008

Surfers Paradise

In the heart of the Gold Coast is Surfers Paradise. The whole coast is like a big, tacky, neon lighted smack of tourist development full of shopping malls and artificial attractions, and surfers is the capital!!! Most say that you should see the place but never see it for more than a couple of nights - which is exactly how long I spent there. The club seen in surfers Paradise is positively electric and so on the night that I arrived, I was quickly signed up to a party bus - which combines 7 hostels worth of people (a few hundred) and you are wisked around the town to 4 of the major night spots and are provided with free drinks, pizza and entry to all the clubs (plus a hat and glow stick). The party ends when you can no longer stand. It was a good way to meet people (I met many) and an even better way to quickly forget all their names.

I was staying just outside Surfers in a spot called Southport which was nicely away from the chaos of town, but I did venture in during the day to have a look around. Two days was certainly ample here - so I headed off to Byron Bay where I would hopefully have a second reunion with my old friend Matt..........

No comments: