Sunday 24 February 2008

Ayuthaya

After an enjoyable two days in Kanchanaburi, I headed back to Bangkok. In one day I had sorted myself out and booked my trip up north. That night a fair few drinks were consumed with Jon and some random people we had met, most of which seemed to come from North London and support Ars*nal. To my delight we all watched the gooners get trashed by Manchester United 4-0. It really was a great night.

Early the next day I waited for my minibus (which I had payed 250 Baht - about 4 pounds) to pick me up and take me on my two hour journey to Ayuthaya. I waited....and waited. After an hour I realised I had been conned and headed to the train station pretty annoyed. For the same trip by local train - it cost me 15 Baht which works out to be about 25p. I learnt a big lesson that day.

Ayuthaya was once an important city in central Thailand. It was the capital for 417 years and formed a major shipping route, due to the conversion of three rivers (Mae Nam Lopburi, Chao Phraya and Pa Sak), which creates a moat around the city. As such the main way to reach the island of Ayuthaya is by boat. I took a trip around the whole city by an impressive watery transporting vehicle. You quickly realise that life here still revolves around the river, for transport, for food and for bathing. The few days I spent here were mainly a cultural experience. The important historical aspect that Ayuthaya displays means that there a variety of old, but impressive temples scattered around town, with influences from Thailand, China and Cambodia incorporated into the designs.

After a few pleasant days, I decided to continue north with a 6 hour bus trip to Sukhothai....

No comments: