Sunday 24 February 2008

Sukhothai

The few days that I spent in Sukhothai were perhaps the most relaxing of my trip so far. After a bit of reading up, I realsied that the highlights here are not seen in the new city of Sukhothai (a combination of dust and people which I quickly skipped through), but instead are 15km away, in the old city, dominated by the Sukhothai historical park. The area is clean, the temples here are some of the oldest in Thailand and the place has a very relaxed feel to it.

The best way to get around is to hire a bike for the day and you can quickly reach the edge of the park and beyond. Riding out of the city walls you soon reach surrounding countryside, quickly ending up on your own with just fields around you and what feels like true Thailand.

After a short time in this charming location, I again continued north.

No comments: