Saturday 5 April 2008

Back In Bangkok (Thailand)!!!

When I thought that no journey could get any worse than the 26 hour nightmare to Hanoi, I was sadly mistaken. The journey from Siem Reap to Bangkok is not that long but it is the most uncomfortable. To ensure that tourists fly, the government refuse to allow a road to be built between Siem Reap and the Thailand border. What should take a few hours takes six. You can't sleep because the dirt track is so bumpy, the aircon doesn't work and you can't open the window because the dust gets in and covers everyone in a fine smog. The border - Poipet, is a dreadful place - where most mafia meet to do their illegal dealings. Once your on the Thailand side it's only four hours and your back in the chaos of Bangkok - joy!!!

I'v been here in Bangkok for the last four days. I re-met up with Jessica and her step sister Linda, from Sweden - who I had originally met on that crazy night in Pak Beng and then later in Vang Vieng (Laos). We have spent the last few days together here in Bangkok. We also took a trip to the Tiger Temple. It's a temple where monks look after hurt tigers. The temple is actually near Kanchanaburi. We did it as a day trip - three hours there - a few hours in the temple, then three hours back.

It was weird because we actually went right past the Bridge on the River Kwai - where I had been all those weeks ago. Kanchanaburi was one of the first places I had visited on my trip and I didn't think I would be back there so soon in my life. I didn't even know about the Tiger Temple back then.

The temple has other wild animals just walking around uncaged but the main attraction is obviously the tigers. You get to have pictures with about 5 tigers - big and small - and some of them are placed on your lap - live tigers - on your lap!!! The back-packer rumor is that the tigers are druged - the workers there deny it but your never quite sure - they didn't look too lively - we were told it's because of the heat - you will have to go and make your own mind up!!!

It was a good few days in Bangkok - many drunken nights out due to a few too many alcoholic buckets - it's Bangkok - thats what you do. Oh and I also ate a grasshopper - after I said I never would again - it was about as disgusting as the first one.

Jessica and Linda headed back home yesterday - and i'm now going south to the Thailand beaches. First though i'm heading to Ko Chang - a beachy island in Thailand but to the east - near the Cambodian border of all places - figures!!!

Until then......

No comments: