Friday 4 April 2008

From One Capital City To Another

Let me describe to you the worst bus journey of my life. The trip from Vientiane (the capital of Laos) to Hanoi (the capital of Vietnam) is long. It is supposed to take 23 hours and to be fair - the bus that started us off was fairly comfortable for Asia. However, I soon realise that we arrive at the border at 3 in the morning and the border doesn't open till 7. We attempt to sleep - it doesn't happen!!! You then quickly begin to understand the nature of Vietnam. Compared to chilled out Laos, getting into Vietnam is a bit oof a military operation, although perhaps understandable with the past that the country has experienced over recent times.

We eventually get going again, all in all taking 26 hours and 4 bus changes, the last of which was a local bus and more like something you would transport cattle in.

When I arrived at Hanoi I headed to the Hoan Kiem lake (pictured). Legend tells of a giant golden tortoise which grabbed the Emporer - Ly Thai To's sword and took it into the depths of the lake, but eventually returned it. It was here where I thought I would take my first picture of Vietnam, but thus realised that my camera had been stolen on the last (local) bus, pick-pocketed right beneath my very feet. The new legend is thus, the tortoise took my camera and i'm still waiting, no, foolishly hoping that one day it will too be returned, as I have some pretty nifty pictures on there.

The next day I give up on the tortoise and buy a new camera!!!

No comments: