Friday 20 June 2008

Back In Perth

It wasn't all goodbye's to my group just yet, as, when I returned back to Perth, I was staying in the same hostel as Annette and Andy, while Lisa and Jo were also not too far away. The few days that I spent here this time round were mainly spent recovering from the weeks tiring, but fun adventure.

I did have time to walk around Perth, checking out the main River on which the town is based (the Swan River). The place has a quaint feel to it but a friendly vibe.

I also had a day out in Freemantle. It's a short train ride away and it's definately worth a visit. Freemantle is a port town with a unique character. The old-style buildings and history here appear unrivalled anywhere else in the state. I walked about taking a trip to the Round-House (the oldest public building in WA). It was originally built as a prison in 1831 but today is a good place to get some cool views over the ocean. I also headed to the shipwreck galleries where you can learn about the arrival of the Dutch, many of whom didn't make it to shore, and I also took a tour around the Freemantle Prison. The prison tour gives a great overview of Australia'a convict history. You get taken around the tiny cells (they only had a bed and a bucket) which were used up until 1991. You get to hear all the stories of prison life and are taken to the execution room. It's definately worth a visit. Freemantle is a good place just to spend some time and do very little - a quiet get-away from the not very busy Perth.

Before I left the area I also had to make a visit to the beach. Cottesloe Beach is quiet and scenic with surfers attempting their skills on the medium sized waves. I just watched.

Perth has been a good introduction to Australian life. I am still getting used to the weather. In Asia - it is hot day and night and you are constantly sweating. Here though - the heat is dry, it's hot in the day but gets cold at night. There are tons of backpackers here too, and especially in WA - the Irish are everywhere - something I did not realise - but not a bad thing!!!

I was looking forward to seeing more of Australia and I didn't have to wait long. If you love rocks then my next stop is definately the place for you. Essentially the most famous landmark of Australia, deep in the Red Centre of the Outback - Uluru was waiting.......

No comments: