Monday 9 June 2008

Surabaya

My flight to Singapore was from the second largest city in Indonesia - Surabaya. It is not a stunning city of natural beauty and I probably wouldn't have stopped here if it wasn't the airport hub of Eastern Java.

I spent a day looking around: through China town, some Dutch architecture and the bridge where the British Brigadier Mallaby was killed during the battle of Surabaya. I also saw some interesting temples and chaotic markets (which generally were filled with crammed chickens in boxes - stay away from me bird flu!!!).

The city is large, frenetic and feisty according to the Lonely Planet - and I agree. This huge port city is a chaotic mess and unless you really love big cities which are generally filled with nothing for the average tourist - then you really don't need to spend time here other than to get your flight onwards -which just so happens to be what I did.....onto Singapore........

No comments: