Friday 5 December 2008

More Chaos In Auckland

So the Taupo party was over but the following weekend, Darren, Pete, Steve and Tom came up to Auckland to continue the festivities. It was an insane weekend. We covered so much ground. We had two very drunken nights out, with even more people out than the previous week.

To recover, we went to Mission Bay. It's a short drive from town and is considered one of the most scenic beach spots in Auckland. It is stunning and we stayed on a grassy spot where we all played football and soaked up the sun. I still can't get over that it's sunny and hot in November but I can't complain about it. Christmas in Summer is definately going to be weird too.

On the Sunday, the Auckland Christmas Parade was on, in which it appeared the whole of NZ was crammed into one street. It was a fun event and we watched for a while before Darren and I headed off to do our 5th bungy jump - together. We had done a tandem bungy for my birthday so we had to do one for his. The jump is off the Auckland Harbour Bridge. They tied us together, we had our party hats on, and because we were both so hungover - we sort of flopped off the edge. The photos and video are hilarious. This time it was Darren's turn to depart as he headed back to Taupo. I would see him again for Christmas and New Year's though.

So my life has continued here in Auckland. I continue to see Harriet, Rob and Kate plus some others who we have all made good friends with. On the way back from Harriet's flat one evening (it's a 30 minute walk to my hostel) I am walking past the edge of a park when I see a man run out - it looked suspicious but thought nothing of it. Then a few seconds later I hear a scream and I think - oh no - why me. A woman runs out crying and a few seconds further on, I'm chasing a criminal down the street. She's had her bag stolen and so I'm trying to ring 999 even though I know that isn't the emergency services here. Eventually I remember and dial 111. We lost the criminal, so I waited around until two Police cars turned up and we gave descriptions.

Apart from that my life in New Zealand has been perfectly normal. I play football with Rob and the old boys on a Thursday morning before work. It's just like home except I can't play with my Father, so Steele and Steele partnership is somewhat lacking. Auckland is a cool city, perhaps not the most exciting but will keep me entertained for now. I may eventually go mad at their traffic lights though, where I joke you not - you have to wait for what seems like an Ice Age before it allows you to cross the road. On one occasion I actually grew a full beard waiting to cross!!!

Nevertheless, life goes on. I'm hoping to get a free ticket to see LA Galaxy and David Beckham play in a football match as they are all here in Auckland for some promotional game. Work continues, and Christmas away from home is around the corner. It's been 10 months so far and counting, and while it now looks like it could be at least that time again before I make it back - I think it's a good a time as any to say - I Love you all and always will........

No comments: