Friday 30 May 2008

Cameron Highlands

I left Taman Negara and also left Peter there - it wasn't really a goodbye because he was joining me a day later. On the way to my next destination, at a crappy little service station eating hole that all the buses stop at, I bumped into Isabelle - who was heading to the jungle. Said a quick hello - and then a final goodbye to her, as I knew our plans would not see our paths cross again!!! I also met up with a Dutch guy, Elmar, who I had originally met in my guest-house in KL and then in Taman Negara. He was also heading the same way - almost everyone does the same route and our route..... was to the Cameron Highlands.

The Cameron Highlands is an extensive hill station. The first thing you notice when you arrive - is the weather. As it's name suggests, being up at 1300-1800m above sea level, the weather is cool and damp, and at night - even becomes cold. At home in England, your pretty much cold 90% of the year. For our few weeks holiday, us Brits generally head to warmer climates just to feel the sun on our face. I have been hot, everyday, for the last 3 and a bit months (thats around 100 days). This was my holiday!!! Wrapped up in a jumper, feeling the cold, not sweating, no mosquitoes... pure heaven!!! Like a gift from god, altitude is one glorious thing.

The scenery here is stunning and actually has a very English countryside feel to it. The weather conditions are ideal for growing tea and plantations are scattered across the region. They have also taken some English traditions on here too - with the many strawberry farms in the area, scones with cream and jam have become popular with your steaming cuppa!!!

I took a trip to one of the tea plantations to see it's process in action. I also ventured to the highest peak in the area, Gunung Brinchang (6666ft) for panoramic views and trekked through a mossy forest (very different to the rain-forests of Taman Negara).

At the guest-house I was staying in, a fire was set up every night, and cold travelers would huddle around and talk about, well, their travels generally. Marshmellows even came out for real bonfire atmosphere.

The food around the town of Tanah Rata (the main town in the Highlands) was still very Malaysian. I actually had one of the greatest dishes here..... later finding out you could get it almost anywhere in Malaysia. It's an Indian cuisine consisting of one very large nan bread (the size of your plate), with a Tandori chicken in the middle and then 4 or 5 sauce for you to dip into - really good!!!

I actually didn't want to leave, for the views and the relaxed atmosphere and of course for the cold. I will never complain about the weather in England. Having seasons is a great thing. Seasonal variations has seemed to of escaped Asia apart from being the rainy or non rainy season. Temperatures are always warm and it's only when you come to a place like the Cameron Highlands and feel the cold that you realise how lucky you are back in England - honest!!!

Malaysia is a diverse country; it's people, it's food and it's scenery differ from place to place and even within the same region. It has everything from big cities, dense jungle, English feel countryside and as I would soon find out......stunning beaches.

No comments: