Tuesday 6 May 2008

Krabi (Thailand)

So after my day in Burma and 24 hours of non-stop travelling, I eventually make it to Krabi. Krabi town is not a beach destination itself, but more of a mainland jumping-off point for nearby islands and some close proximity beaches. I skipped the featureless town and headed straight for Ao Nang Beach. All the beaches off Krabi are recognisable for their large karst formations sprouting from clear turquise waters and crescent-shaped coves - beautiful!!!

I was re-united here with Siobhan, Isabelle and Peter. I didn't actually stay at Krabi for long - we were soon moving on to the world- famous island of Koh Phi Phi. However, to escape more beach laziness, I did manage to fit in a day of rock climbing. Clambering up huge, twisted rock units is famous on Krabi's Rai Leh Beach, so thats where I went to test my skills.

There was no training. We were geared up and sent off to the cliff face with our guide, Nu. He was completely insane, yet his humour somehow made it bearable to know that I had to trust him with my life, as I dangled from countless meters above the ground on a thin peice of rope that he was holding at the other end. In fact, it was a lot of fun although very tiring and before swinging back down to safe ground, there were great views from the top. We started off at level 3 and progressed to harder climbs, finishing on 5B. I think thats medium difficulty for those unfamiliar with climbing rocks.

After a couple of days, we left Krabi by boat to Phi Phi and the famous "Beach".

No comments: