Wednesday 7 May 2008

Ko Lipe

Within the ko Tarutao National Park , located in the furthest reaches of South-West Thailand are five accessible islands. Only two have park accommodation - Ko Tarutao and Ko Lipe. Beacuse it is the wrong time of year (out of season), you can't get a boat direct from Koh Lanta. Instaed you have to head to the mainland, then get a bus down the coast and hop on another boat to your destination. A full days travelling though was definately worth it once you see Ko Lipe.

If you want a real beach island, one you can literally walk round and explore all the beaches it has to offer in 25 minutes, with perfect white sand, clear turquise waters and only a small community of local residents, then this is the place. It was the most stunning island by a long way and I was glad it would be my last memory of Thailand. Of course it's seclusion comes with a price - and that price is well - everything. The most expensive place I had been so far but for the views and the beaches - it was definately worth every baht.

There's not a lot to do except nothing and that is generally what everyone does. we met three cool Swedish ladies here, which we generally spent our time playing card drinking games on many of the wonderful beach bars.

It was my last location in the wonderful Thailand, so.... I ate my last banana and chocolate pancake, my last pad thai and my Chang beer (ummmm). Amazingly I had my first Thai massage here. I had already had a swedish massage on Koh Phangan, much needed after the full moon chaos. But I had never had a Thai massage, which I can brifely describe to you as an hour of pure pain. They bend you in every position imaginable, clicking bones and twisting muscles that you didn't even know you had. Before the process begins they rub what i can only imagine was some super strength version of "deep heat" into my back - my body feeling like it was literally on fire. Suprisingly, you come out feeling good - like somehow, it works and you forget all the pain for the after results.

My time back in Thailand had been relaxing, memorable (well most of it) and just how I remember Thailand to be from the first time I was here - an incredible country with character, culture, diversity and the best mango shakes in the world!!! I'm sad to see it go - but my travels don't end here - so off I went......

No comments: