Friday 30 May 2008

Penang

A boat trip back to the mainland and then an overnight bus gets you from the east coast of Malaysia to the west coast. I had actually gone full circle around Peninsular Malaysia when I landed on the island of Penang. Just north was Langkawi where I had started my Malaysian adventure. Penang was always my intended last destination in this country as it has a direct boat across to Medan in Sumatra (Indonesia) where I was heading next. But while I was here - I thought I would check the place out.

Penang is the oldest British settlement in Malaysia. While the island does have some fancy beaches, the island's main attraction for most travelers is the city of Georgetown for it's history, culture and food. Georgetown, like many cities in Malaysia has it's China Town and Little India with their usual chaotic streets. There are also some interesting historic colonial buildings such as Fort Cornwallis and the City Hall. There are a variety of temples and other religious buildings and there is also the impressive Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion, built in the 1800's with 38 rooms and a mix of eastern and western influences.

One great thing about Penang is its food. It is known for having the best cuisine in Malaysia and with so many making a statement like that - they can't all be wrong - and their not. There is so much to choose from you end up eating between meals - not because your hungry but just because you want to try everything!!! The street food is by far the most authentic and the most tasty - as it is everywhere in Asia. Stay on the streets and eat as the locals eat - and you can't go wrong.

After my few days in Penang I headed for the ferry. Malaysia had been a real adventure, with so many completely different places all located next to each other it's hard not to have an amazing time in this country. My boat was ready to depart. I had spent enough time messing about in Asia - sightseeing and lazing on beaches. It was time to get down to the real business - and my next destination would provide everything I would need. When you want to be a volcanologist then you need to go on the hunt for some volcanoes. The hunt was over......welcome to the land of fire.......calling me from across the waters was - Indonesia.

No comments: